Coila Church is a Bible believing, gospel proclaiming church dedicated to the great commission and the glory of God. At Coila we hold to the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments as our only infallible rule of faith and practice, and the faith of our congregation is based on God’s will as revealed in this, His Holy Word . We are also further guided in our faith by the Westminster Confession of Faith, the Apostles’ Creed, and the Nicene Creed. While not replacing or standing above Scripture, we believe these documents provide an accurate summary of the system of doctrine taught in the Holy Scriptures. The statement of faith below is a brief summary of some of the major points of doctrine derived from the Word of God and taught in the documents above.We Believe That:
1. The sixty-six canonical books of the Bible as originally written were inspired by God and free from error. They constitute the only infallible rule of faith and practice. The Holy Scriptures are God’s revelation of Himself to mankind and contain all truth that is necessary for man’s salvation. A careful translation that is close to the best texts in the original languages of Scripture is entitled to acceptance as the Word of God.
2. There is one living and true God, everlasting; of infinite power, wisdom, and goodness; the creator and preserver of all things. In the unity of God, there are three persons of one substance, power, eternity, and glory – the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
3. The eternally pre-existent Son was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary. In the Lord Jesus, the nature of God and the nature of man were joined together in one person, both natures being whole and distinct. To effect our salvation, He lived a sinless life and died on the cross as the sinner’s substitute, shedding His blood for the remission of original sin and the actual sins of mankind. On the third day, He rose from the dead in his body. He ascended to the Father where He performs the ministry of intercession. He shall return personally and visibly to complete the eternal plan of God.
4. Man, created in the image of God, fell from his sinless state through disobedience at the temptation of Satan. This fall plunged man into a state of sin and spiritual death alienating him from God, his fellow man, and even himself. From this condition, man can be saved only by God’s gracious gift of salvation and reconciliation received through faith, based upon the sacrificial death and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ.
5. The Holy Spirit is the present agent of God’s grace to the believer. He indwells the believer enabling him to live a godly life in this age. He alone empowers the believer for the purpose of demonstrating Christ to the World.
6. The Church is the visible body of Christ made up of those who believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, acknowledge the Word of God as authoritative in their lives, and recognize their unity in the Holy Spirit.
7. The two ordinances we recognize will be Baptism and the Lord’s Supper. We consider these as effective means of grace, but not to be regarded as effecting salvation.
We are affiliated with the Conservative Congregational Christian Conference.